Thank you for your interest in supporting the teaching, community service, and research activities at Bethlehem University in the Holy Land. Your support is needed and welcomed for a number areas, including construction, community focused research, student activities, technology updating, library resources, community service activities, honoring a faculty member, and supporting student scholarships, etc. The choice of how your donation will be used is yours to make. Here are some current funding needs for your consideration:
Unrestricted giving: Simply put, an unrestricted gift is the most important contribution you can make to Bethlehem University. Unrestricted gifts help support the greatest needs of the University, sustaining the depth and breadth of our academic and spiritual endeavors as well as out outreach services to the community. Your unrestricted gift to Bethlehem University enables the administration, faculty, and staff to be able to quickly respond to emerging opportunities and needs.
Endowment: Are you interested in having your gift support current needs and also continue to support future needs? Gifts to the endowment are a way that you can make a long-lasting impact in your support of Bethlehem University. Your gift to an endowment fund will be invested with other funds so that each and every year into the future, the interest from the investment of your gift will support your area of interest at Bethlehem University.
Improving Technology: Equipping our students with the “e-skills” required to be successful in a world of technological change and global competition is a major priority. Keeping pace with technology needs is no easy task in the 21st century. Your support is needed to help Bethlehem University update computer equipment, software and technical infrastructure across campus.
- Upgrading the Computer Technology Infrastructure: An annual gift of $11,000 for five years (total gift of $55,000), or a contribution of $275,000 to create an endowed fund, will upgrade computers and two printers each year.
- Purchase and Customization of Data Management Software: A one-time gift of $48,000 will assist the University in upgrading from a limited DOS-based data management system to a more efficient Windows-integrated data management system.
Faith Formation: As the only Catholic Christian University in the Holy Land, Bethlehem University plays a significant role in conjunction with the Latin Patriarchate in the faith formation and leadership development of Christians in the Holy Land. The University offers a four-year Bachelor’s degree with a major and a minor in Religious Studies, and provides training and professional diploma programs for religion teachers in primary and secondary schools. The University also supports the faith formation of students through a variety of faith sharing, prayer groups, retreats, leadership, and spiritual development activities with the Christian Student Youth Group (Shabebeih) and Student Choir.
- Christian Faith Formation Activities: The University seeks $11,000 on an annual basis or a contribution of $275,000 to establish an endowed fund to maintain and enhance Christian faith formation and leadership development activities with retreats, leadership and faith formation training, dialogue forums designed to strengthen the vitality of the Christian atmosphere at Bethlehem University and throughout the Holy Land, and to also promote inter-religious dialogue and mutual respect.
- Chapel Support: Each day of the academic year, for students, faculty, staff, and neighbors the Catholic Mass is celebrated on the campus of Bethlehem University in the Holy Land in the Chapel of the Divine Child. Gifts to support the Chapel help provide prayer missals and song books $2,000), and the upkeep of vestments, liturgical vessels, and the Chapel ($3,000).
Scholarships: Central to the mission of Bethlehem University is to provide access to higher education for the people of Palestine. Without substantial financial assistance (endowed and annual scholarships), many people could not access the high quality education offered at Bethlehem University.
- Endowed Scholarship: For a gift totaling $75,000 (payable over time) you can fully fund a permanent and perpetual named endowed scholarship. The earnings from the invested endowed gift are used each year to award your scholarship each year into the future to deserving students. An initial gift of $30,000 can establish a base for a permanent endowed scholarship.
- Annual Scholarship: A minimum contribution of $4,000 provides an annual named scholarship which supports the tuition and other educational costs. Donors generally make a commitment to provide $4,000 per year for at least three or four years, as degree programs are four-year programs.
- General Scholarship: A donor who wishes to make a contribution to support the Bethlehem University General Scholarship Fund, but prefers not to establish a named annual or an endowed scholarship as described above, may make a gift of any amount to the Bethlehem University General Scholarship Fund.
Learning Environment: Bethlehem University is proud to stand as a beacon of hope and an oasis of peace in the Holy Land. As the University expands its academic programming to better serve the Palestinian people and to meet the demands of local businesses and industries, gifts toward capital expenses and projects will enable Bethlehem University to fund academic program development, and laboratory, classroom, and office renovations and expansions. With your generosity, Bethlehem University will accommodate the specialized needs of emerging disciplines and equip facilities with the latest technology and modern scientific equipment. Most importantly, Bethlehem University students and faculty will have a stimulating learning environment in which to thrive.
- To develop and teach a Canon Law course: $150,000
- E-subscriptions to academic journals in the Library: $40,000
- Equipment of for a Science Laboratory: $20,000
- Furnishings for an Administrative Office: $15,000
- Furnishings for a Classroom: $20,000
- Camera for the Photography Club: $500
- Replacement light bulb for LCD projector in classroom: $500
- Textbooks for the Library: $100
Career Development: Bethlehem University is committed to enhancing opportunities for student and faculty success. Gifts to support travel abroad programs, internships, professional development workshops, entrepreneurial start-ups and travel to conferences will provide students and faculty the opportunities necessary for lifelong lessons and memories that can shape their careers.
- Annual Career Fair for students and graduates: $10,000
- To enhance civic engagement and service learning programs: $22,000
- Faculty or Student travel to an academic conference: $2,500
Research: At Bethlehem University, teaching, research and outreach are woven together. We believe the best way to enhance our students' educations is through practical experience. Our students participate in faculty-led research. Through these hand-on programs, students tackle real-world problems and build confidence. Gifts made in support of research projects and equipment, which can ran from thousands to millions of dollars, will expand experiential learning opportunities and will help prepare tomorrow's leaders.
- Faculty of Science
- Science Equipment: $1,000,000
- Equipment to generate liquid nitrogen in the Biology Department: $20,000
- Mathematics Learning Center to provide tutoring and resources for the teaching and learning of math: $5,000
- One tank of nitrogen for teaching and research: $50
- Faculty of Nursing
- Develop a neonatal nursing program to methodically meet the basic health care needs of the Palestinian people: $70,000
- Equipment for first-year basic life support training: $15,000
- Equipment for second-year basic nursing and first aid skills: $200,000
- Equipment for third-year training: $25,000
- Equipment for fourth-year trauma training: $11,000
- Equipment for OB/GYN nursing courses: $90,000
- Equipment for pediatric and neonatal nursing track: $55,000
- Simulators: $650,000
Alumni: Through effective communication, programs and events, we seek to maintain a life-long association with each of our graduates by creating opportunities to stay in touch with Bethlehem University and each other.
- Help us connect with our alumni: Established in 1973, Bethlehem University has nearly 14,000 alumni worldwide, with an annual enrollment of some 3,000 students. Thus far there has been little data collection on the status and role of the graduates of the University, the impact of the University in their lives, and their impact on society. Such research would be of significant value to assess the academic curriculum. Additionally, this research would be of value to the Alumni Relations Offices in their efforts to nurture and solicit financial support from alumni. A one-time start-up gift of $40,000 followed by a gift of $20,000 per year for two years ($80,000 total) to support a technical database to collect and organize the information learned, and full-time academic research personnel and student workers are essential to conduct this research.